How a sore throat led to Aussie dad getting every limb amputated
Originally published on Newshub
A Sydney father who developed a sore throat while returning home from the Philippines is about to have all his limbs amputated.
Four days after returning home from his family holiday, Jason Miller was found lying in the Warringah Medical Centre lounge in a distressing condition.
He was rushed to the hospital for emergency treatment.
Hospital staff desperately tried to resuscitate him, but he was placed into a induced coma, Yahoo7 News reports.
Further tests revealed Mr Miller had two bacterial infections, streptococcus and aerococcus - an extremely rare infection never seen by the intensive care specialist in all his 20-plus years in the medical field.
"He was suffering from severe septic shock, multiple organ failure and toxic shock syndrome," his sister-in-law Kate Munn told Yahoo7 News.
Against all odds, the 48-year-old opened his eyes again on November 7.
Once awake, Mr Miller, still heavily sedated, was informed he would have to have both arms and legs amputated due to the severity of his illness.
The family has since been discussing with doctors how much of each limb would be removed, Yahoo7 News reports.